Have I told you yet how much I love Earth Day? Well I do. A LOT.
I don’t think it’s celebrated enough around here. I mean, why are we working? Shouldn’t we be out showing the earth we love it? SHOULDN’T WE BE SPENDING ALL THE HOURS WORSHIPING THIS BEAUTIFUL PLANET?
Still, there are several ways we can show the earth our appreciation, even if we have to work today. Here’s some of my favorites.
1. Build a birdfeeder out of popsicle sticks. Birds are part of this great earth, and birds need to eat. Plus it gives you a really good excuse to eat a whole bunch of popsicles.
2. Kiss a cactus. What better way to show the earth you love it, than to kiss one of it’s inhabitants that gets the least amount of love. (I found one that wasn’t too prickly) (I’m not an idiot)
3. Plant something. If I’m completely honest, I don’t know all the scientific-ey reasons that plants are good for the environment, but something carbon offset, something something. Anyway, it’s good for the earth and it’s good for your mood. Make like a tree and grow (something).
4. Use eco-friendly condoms. I’m not going to condone unprotected sex, but if your gonna be doing the deed, you might as well go green with it. And I don’t mean by getting an infection. Apparently eco-friendly condoms are a thing. They are made without harming any rubber trees! Sounds like a perfectly reasonable invention to me.
5. Eco-friendly sanitary protection. While we’re on the subject of our nether regions, we might as well talk about our feminine hygiene. I mean, think of all that cotton that is used to keep your panties clean. If you really care about our planet, you would certainly invest in a mooncup.
6. Reusable Bags. It’s not as if we have a choice here in Austin, (thank you, bag ban) and I’m certainly not bitter about it-but Reusable bags are the smarter choice for grocery shopping. The biggest plus? The are definitely a lot prettier than normal plastic bags.
7. Reusable Water Bottles: This is a given, and one I completely stand by. I use my Nalgene all day every day. I actually prefer a glass water bottle for drinking, but I’ve broken the last three I’ve purchased-so it’s plastic for me!
8. Pledge to have your body sent to a body farm after you die. This is one I’m seriously considering. I love the idea of decomposing the natural way, the way I was intended to go. Basically, your body is sent to decompose in a safe environment, free of a coffin or other non-decomposable things. There’s a body farm right outside Austin, and it’s becoming evermore popular every day. You can read more about it here.
9. Shower with your partner (or your dog). Hey! It’s an excuse to get sexy! Bring along your eco-friendly condoms and make a night of it. Not with your dog. I mean, showering with your dog is awesome, just not… you know what I mean. I do, in fact; shower with Stevie Ticks at least once a week. It’s a great way to save water, plus my dog loves it!
10. Become a Freegan. This isn’t something I would actually ever do, but I do find it fascinating. We had some freegans on the show a few years back and I just couldn’t get over the fact that they eat all of their meals out of the dumpster. Apparently, it’s more common than ya think.
Well there you have it, folks. For some more, much weirder options-check out my blog on KLBJ FM’s website.
No related posts.